DJ Skee & Game - California Republic: Review by ThisIsBoomer

April 06, 2012

 Welcome to my Track-by-Track review of Game's latest mixtape "California Republic". Enjoy!




1. God Speed Feat Mele
First track on the tape and the Game is delivering solid verses on the Tre Beatz produced track.
I really like the transition to Mele's verse at the end. Overall its a pretty good start for a project like this. I give this a 9/10.

2. Red Bottom Boss Feat Rick Ross
This is obviously a freestyle over Rozay's "Lord Knows" track produced by Just Blaze. I have never really listened to the original so this like I heard it for the first time and really enjoyed it.
The beat is on point and the hook is typical for Rick Ross. I give this a 8/10.

3. The Drill Feat Ace Hood & Meek Mill
Yo, when the song started it actually reminded me of that Juice x Ace Hood track on the American Me mixtape but then I realized the beat is similar but good as well. The track features MMG's Meek Mill and Ace Hood and all three fit the beat. Nothing more to add here. Cool & Dre beat, you know what it is! I give this a 9/10.

4. Hit The J Feat LifeStyle
First of all, why is Game changing his voice on this one? Never mind, another banging Cool & Dre production. I dont really like Game's verse on this song but the verse from LifeStyle aka Young Life was pretty decent. I give this a 7/10.

5. Mean Muggin Feat 2 Chainz & French Montana
That's my shit! I really like the vibe of this beat and Game's is so laid-back. Even though I don't like 2 Chainzzzzzzzzzzz and French Montana they really did their job on this one.
The hook is basic and the beat is pretty unusual for a Cool & Dre production but its on point.
I give this a 8/10.

6. Yonkers Freestyle Base Feat Nobody
Nobody??? Who is that? I don't know what to say about this. The Nobody dude has no rap skills at all. Skip. I give this a 3/10.

7. Death Penalty Feat Fabolous, Eric Bellinger & Slim Thug
This is a typical Lex Luger southside beat. Song starts straight with a cool Fabolous verse. Right after that, Game is trying to jack Fab's style and I like Game better when he uses his own style. Last verse from Slim Thug is cool too. The singer on the hook reminded me of a mix between R Kelly & T-Pain. I give this a 9/10.

8. Bottles & Rockin' J's (Remix) Feat Khaled,Fabolous,Busta Rhymes,Rick Ross,Wayne & Teyana Taylor
They just added Teyana Taylor for some vocals on the hook. Line-up is good but its nothing special. Everybody has heard the song long time ago. Move on. I give this a 7/10.

9. Tonight Feat Mele
I already knew the hook from Mele would be amazing because he delivered a lot heat on Toolez's "Sleepdreams Dreams" mixtape. Beat is on point and its produced by Blackwallstreet's in-house producer Tre Beatz. Game's rapping on this song is good and he's telling some women stories from his life. I give this a 8/10.

10. GreyStone Feat Fat Joe, Young Chris & Sam Hook
This was the first leak off the tape. Its one of the better songs from the mixtape. I like the verses and Sam Hook on the hook gives me a good feeling. Nothing more to add, I give this a 8/10.

11. Pussy Money Weed Feat Kid Red, LifeStyle & Ben J
I started to like this when the beat started playing. I call this type of beats "Alien Beats" because its sounds like something from Outta Space, I can't really describe why I call it that way. No Game on this track but we hear some fine verses from Kid Red & Young Life and the Ben J dude sounded good as well. The hook could have been better. Anyway, I give this is a 9/10.

12. Gone Ahead Feat Sam Hook
This beat reminds me of something J Cole or Drake would rap on. I think Game is trying to impersonate J Cole on this track. This a minus point for me because I like the "normal voice" Game. Beat is on point. I give this a 7/10.

13. Now That I'm Paid Feat Rick Ross & Mele
Rick Ross devlivers a dope first verse followed by Game. Mele on the hook is cool again like always. The beat is great but I don't like Game trying to sound like Ross on this on again. I give this a 8/10.

14. Skate On Feat Lupe Fiasco
The beat sounds Old Skoolish, this really dope. Lupe Fiasco delivers a great verse, the same for Game. One of best songs on this mixtape. Skate On, Skate On, Skate On gets a 10/10!

15. When My Niggas Come Home Feat Snoop Dogg & Pharrell
This song has this typical west coast vibe. I don't like Pharrells vocals on this one but Snoop Dogg fits the song very good. Not the best Neptunes beat. I give this a 7/10.

16. It Must Be Tough Feat Pharrell & Mysonne
Another beat I really like. Pharrell's hook is corny but it fits the concept of the track, Game is good on this one and I'm happy to see that Mysonne is delivering some vocals for the track. 10s 20s 50s 100s ... I give this is a 9/10.

17. She Want To Have My Baby Feat Trey Songz
This song was already on the last tape. I like it. Not a typical Game track but its still pretty funny. I give this a 7/10.

18. Come Up Feat Drake & LifeStyle
Great beat from Boi-1da. A plus for Drake on the hook and Game & Young Life rapping some nice bars on it. This is also one the better tracks on the tape. I give this a 10/10.

19. Cats and Dogs Feat Kobe
Kobe is one of the best hook singers besides Nate Dogg (RIP) in my opinion. The beat from King David is banging, sounds like something Dr Dre would rap on. Game is using his normal voice on this. Everything on this song is dope. Cats and Dogs give this a 10/10!

20. The Logo Feat LifeStyle, Cyssero & Mele
I like the track, the beat and all the features. I am really happy to see Cyssero aka Atlas back with the BWS crew. I just do not understand why Game is trying to sound like a mix of Shyne and Rick Ross. Young Life is cool and Cyssero's flow is priceless. I give this is a 9/10.

21. The Best Revenge Feat Lyfe Jennings & Denise Janae
A typical chick track from Game. It has a relaxing beat and some solid verses. A very slow song and the features fit the song. Not that bad as I first assumed. I give this a 7/10.

22. They Don't Want None Feat Shyne & Pharrell
A snippet of this song leaked a long time ago with only a Game verse, now we can hear the full thing. This is like Mario(NOT the producer ;)) produced the song but it still has this gutter style. I like it but I don't know what happened with Shyne's voice in prison. Average song I give this a 7/10.

23. Bills Is Paid Feat Nipsey Hussle & Sam Hook
I am really big fan of Nip Hussle and therefore I really roll with this song even though the Nipsey verse was partly recycled from "Faith" off his TMC Xtra Laps mixtape. Great production on the beat by Mars from super producer 1500 or Nothin'. Everything in harmony on this! I give this a 10/10.

24. Rolly My Shit Feat Snoop Dogg & Pharrell
Last song on the mixtape. The Neptunes tried to make a old school beat that sounds like its from the 90s. Snoop fits the song very well and Game spits some OG verses. Good track to end the mixtape. I give this is a 8/10.


Conclusion:
All in all, this "California Republic" mixtape is good. It is not great, not classic, not legendary or anything. Its good work and we got a lot of RED Album leftovers like "It Must Be Tough","Roll My Shit","When My Nigga Come Home" and "Skate On" to name some examples. His previous mixtapes like "Hoodmorning: Candy Coronas" or "Purp & Patron" are way better. Just my opinion and after this tape I'm really curious what we will get on Game's next album called "F.I.V.E" that is dropping in 2013.
Drop your thoughts in the comments below or hit me up on twitter @ThisIsBoomer and don't forget to hit my Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/ThisIsBoomerTV to discuss with me.
You can keep the typos. Thanks for reading.

ThisIsBoomerTV @ Facebook 
ThisIsBoomerTV @ Twitter 




You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare